The Location of the Principal Residential Quarters of the Jews in Seventeenth-Century Rome

31. A section of the line drawing from Giambattista Falda's La Pianta di Roma del 1676 (Città del Vaticano) shows the quarters near the Tiber that Bosio frequented. The largest communities of Jew had moved from the right bank of the Tiber to the left bank, mainly in the region around the Piazza Giudea, later to become the Ghetto; others were located near the Porta Nomentana.

By the sixteenth century, there were eleven synagogues on the left bank, coincidentally the same number documented epigraphically in ancient Rome. Like a number of their later counterparts, the synagogue of the Tripolitans as well as that of the Hebrews (representing the early émigrés from Palestine) and probably those of the Elaeans and the Secenians derived their names from the places of origin of their members. The names of these ancient congregations were the Agrippesians, the Augustesians, the Calcaresians, the Campesians, the Elaeans, the Hebrews, the Secenians, the Siburesians, the Tripolitans, the Vernaclians, and the Volumnesians. The communities of the Campesians, the Siburesians, and possibly the Calcaresians took their names from the Augustan quarters in which they were situated. The teeming Transtiberine region might have housed a number of the early synagogues, such as those of the Hebrews, the Augustesians, the Agrippesians, the Tripolitans and the Vernaclians.

close menu back next